Hi everyone, I'm a new member here... I'm Simon, or Nesa, whichever u prefer..
I've been having this idea for about 2 or 3 years now, about creating a new religion, called Sciencism. The religion is based on science (especially sociology, psychology, environment, evolution, etc). The important differences between sciencism and mainstream religions are:
1. It's based on science, and yet it is religion (includes supernatural, mystery, art, music, rituals, prayer, forgiveness, reward/punishment, etc).
2. It is based on the concept of levels (hard to describe this, but perhaps this will help: http://sciencism.info/wiki/Levels .. forgive the sloppy writing)
3. It's open to anyone to join and even contribute! If you'll visit the site: sciencism.info you'll see that it's a mediawiki, just like wikipedia! You can start contributing/discussing as soon as you register.
4. you can essentially reach any level you are able to reach. And you get to keep all your material possessions! With mainstream religions, you're stuck at level 0 (the lowest level) unless you quit your current career and pursue one in theology.
5. If anyone's interested, I would like to organize some weekly meetings on skype but the scope will be broader than the meetings that Franklin organized before
I posted my idea on the Mensa.org religion forums, and we've been having some lively discussions around evolution, sciencism, relationships, etc. I don't think I have faced any serious challenges to my ideas in the mensa forums (which is no small feat, considering it is mensa)... so I'm pretty confident that the idea itself is quite sound... the only problem now is for people to join and contribute as much or as little as they want to.
The content on Sciencism.info is not PC and not meant to be PC especially at the upper levels...
There has been a lot of extremely productive and interesting and intellectually challenging and confronting discussions on the mensa forums but unfortunately they're not open to the public... but at some point I would like to get the main ideas out of there and into the sciencism website... but I think that once we get some discussions going on sciencism.info itself, then things will really start to take off, perhaps just like wikipedia :)
By the way, my skype userid is "hellznrg".. My gtalk is email@example.com. On sciencism.info, i'm "Scimon" :) I look forward to hearing from u
well it uses a similar framework that scientology uses, but it's not full of shit like scientology is :)
I believe that Hubbard had a lot of genius in him, but unfortunately it wasn't a benevolent kind of genius... in any case, the "before you start" text is valid, regardless of who wrote it... whether hubbard or hitler.